Saturday, December 2, 2017

Blogger AWOL

Well, it's been a while. Sometimes, life just takes over, doesn't it. My husband had arthroscopic surgery on his knee Wednesday, and blogging had to take a back seat. The patient is doing very well, but his days of competing in Ironman triathlons may well be over. Severe arthritis in the knee and running marathons just don't go together.

I missed you!

I found a great idea for party favors while getting a peppermint mocha at Barnes & Noble about a month ago. They'd just put out these adorable snowflake marshmallows for hot chocolate toppers, and I bought all they had. Combined with a single-serving pouch of Land O' Lakes hot chocolate mix in a snowflake treat bag (Hobby Lobby) with a jingle bell and tag for accents, and you've got a sweet-looking party favor!



I've made a bunch of them and thrown them in boxes of gifts for family and friends. These in the basket below are for our Stephen Ministry Christmas party, and after that event, I'll reload the basket for our book club, which I'm hosting this month because everyone wants to see my book tree.




For the record, I chose The Hundred-Year-Old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson for our December meeting. It's a satisfying read, very much along the lines of Forrest Gump. I love our book club...we actually talk about the books, but we also have time for socializing and fellowship. We've been meeting for over four years now, and it's really quite delightful.

Do you like to read? Are you part of a book club? If so, what do you like best about your book club?

Tonight, I'm going to see If a Man Answers, the high-school fall play. My son Nick has a part in it.

Here's a picture of Cooper and the beginnings of my Christmas decorations. We went to the tree farm on Sunday so hubby could kill a tree, drag it into the house, and put it in the stand before surgery. We will decorate it when the play is over and my son can help.


Here's a picture of the two pups sleeping. Because you can never have too many pictures of pups sleeping. They lower your blood pressure, you know.



Can you tell I have holiday ADHD? Whew. I'm all over the place. Well, everywhere except my craft room. I got some time today to stamp, only to discover I've forgotten how to do it. *sigh* It'll come back, but I made a lot of pretty trash today.

I hope you all had a November that was surgery-free and full of thanksgiving, and I pray your December will be surgery-free and full of the love and peace and hope and joy of Christmas.

Love, peace, hope, and joy,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Archival red geranium
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: white satin ribbon (1/8"), treat bags, silver twist ties, silver jingle bells, snowflake marshmallow toppers (Barnes & Noble), Land O' Lakes hot chocolate mix


6 comments:

  1. I hope your husband has a speedy recovery, Susan. Your treats are lovely. I'm sure they will be thoroughly enjoyed. Your mantle, fireplace and tree look so inviting! Love the doggy pictures! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see your post! I was hoping everything was OK. Your tree is lovely even without ornaments--of course, it seems kind of skinny and puny compared to the one you had last year. :) Sorry to hear George's Ironman days might be over. Your doggies are so cute! Love the treat bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the puppy photos -- your little guy is growing so big! I was so surprised to see the title of the book for your book club; my husband and I watched the movie version on DVD from Netflix and thought it was charming. I had no idea it's a book first -- and now it's on my list. I love reading, and ran a book club at my office for several years, but was downsized in May and now just read on my own. I'm sure your crafty mojo will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to have you back Susan ... wonderful luminous tree, sleeping dogs and books. Our club has been going for 20 years. Simply wonderful night each month ... books, sharing, caring and laughter. As we are all foreigners who have married Mauritians, this is now our family here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute treat bag! I'm sure it will be used and enjoyed. My tree sat for a week with lights and garland. I finally decorated it and the rest of the house. If only to get all the boxes out of the great room.

    I'm so sorry to hear about George's surgery. Perhaps he could find a duathlon that doesn't require running? Or maybe some Sprints. He could still stay in shape but not tax his body as much.

    I AM a reader. I love my local library and our inter library loan program. I read at least two to three books a week. Usually at bedtime; or occasionally while hubby is watching a gory DVD that doesn't interest me.

    I am reading mysteries right now. I seem to get on a kick....LOL
    I have really enjoyed James Patterson's Michael Bennett series, I love Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak books, I'm also making my way through David Rosenfelt and rereading Steve Hamilton.

    Love the pictures of your doggies......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's talking about one more Ironman. He's crazy. But he also mentioned sprints, which he's disdained in the past as a waste of his time.

      I read Anne Perry's Christmas mystery every year. It's a tradition for me now!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!