Friday, December 30, 2016

Big Hearts

I learned a new word today: meraki. It's a Greek word that means putting a piece of your soul into your work. 

Today's card has a piece of my soul in it. What's especially wonderful is that I could NOT have made this card without a bit of inspiration from a picture in a magazine, which reminds me of how we are all creatively connected and fills me with warm fuzzies.

First, the inspiration photo, taken from a page in the latest Somerset Life magazine.The image shows how Rachel Emilie Jackson transformed a piece of business correspondence into something beautiful. 



I took her idea of a strip of paper anchored with a flower and made a Valentine's Day card out of it.


Minimalism at its most me: tons of gorgeous white space, words in the background, a giant heart-shaped rhinestone as a powerful--and meaningful--focal point. This card screams LOVE...very, very minimally. 

I love it!!!



The stamped strip of paper uses an old Hero Arts background stamp in Archival potting soil ink. I cut the strip to be only slightly shorter than the rhinestone, which hangs ever-so-slightly over the top and bottom of the strip. It's offset to the left for a pleasing asymmetry, just as Rachel placed her flower to the left. 
 
*happy sigh*

I meraki-ed!

Why don't you do the same? Close out 2016 by making something that includes a piece of your creative soul. Be fearless. Ring in 2017 with passion and paper crafting!

Mercy, grace, peace, and love at the end of a very weird year,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Archival potting soil
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: giant red rhinestone shaped like a heart!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea. You found just the right piece of paper to pair with that beautiful heart for this perfect valentine Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for another year of inspiration!
    Love learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susan, for the thinking to to use in my card making! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That rhinestone is lovely and you've set it off perfectly!!! Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Thank you so much for a year of inspiration from an authentic soul...YOU! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Susan,
    I know this is an old post but someone has just brought it to my notice and I wanted to say how much I like your minimalist style: you have great judgement. Due to illness I no longer work on any papercraft, but it was a pleasure for me to see your Valentine. Your phrase "tons of gorgeous white space" - I couldn't agree more! All the best. Rachel Emilie Jackson.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!