Thursday, September 1, 2016

One-Layer Simplicity #31: Back in Time

We interrupt my two-part soap-packaging inspiration post with something that has me so excited!

Welcome to September and the new OLS Challenge! This month our host is the always amazing Ardyth, and she's asking us to go back in time...either with a retro or vintage card or by using clocks or time as a theme.

So many fun ways to play!

I went vintage with a new Hero Arts Christmas set called Holly Days, and I made a postcard rather than a card...which says vintage to me.


While this is clearly my CAS style, there are a number of things that say vintage to me. First, the holly stamp has a realistic look, but I colored it in vintage turquoise, olive, and an orange-y red using an aqua brush. To paint the leaves, I used SU tempting turquoise, and before that dried, I added SU old olive. The effect makes me so happy!




Second, the fact that it's a postcard takes me back in time. Do people even send many postcards anymore? I've only received two in the past ten years or so. But my grandparents' scrapbooks are FULL of postcards. And many of them have deckle edges and antique gold borders. Deckle scissors? Check. Antique gold ink? Not so much. Delicata is a very shiny yellow gold...but I got close. It's gold.

Third, a lot of vintage cards have white glitter on them. With my yellow-gold border, white glitter seemed odd, but I wanted to incorporate something glittery on the berries. Well, Jasleen made a card for the OLS30 challenge, and she used a Wink of Stella clear pen to blend her watercolors. That gave me the idea of picking up some gold Delicata ink with the Wink of Stella pen and put it on the berries.

Oh, my! Perfect! Thanks to Jasleen, the gold sentiment, berries, and border create a lovely, unified card.

Or postcard.



Ardyth's OLS challenge is so much fun! Give it a try. Remember that the InLinkz button will be good through September 24th at midnight, and multiple entries are allowed.

Join us!


Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts, unknown postcard
ink: Hero Arts cup o' joe, Delicata gold, Kaleidacolor (orange-red), StampinUp old olive and turquoise
paper: watercolor paper
accessories: deckle scissors, Wink of Stella clear pen, aqua brush, sponge

8 comments:

  1. OMG This is gorgeous! Love the composition and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG This is gorgeous! Love the composition and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man there are millions of postcards flying around! Including handmade! Try this: https://www.postcrossing.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to mention postcrossing.com also, but CSThelen beat me to it. Which is great! I've been a member for about two years and I've received so many beautiful cards from all over the world. One of the senders, from Germany, has now become a pen pal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful project! I really like the deckled edge and the font. I send stamped postcards to my grandkids all the time. They get their own mail and I get to stamp! Amy Tangerine has a postcard stamp and I was so excited to find it. Postcard stamps are cheaper and you don't need an envelope - a great way to send a hello. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deckle scissors?! I almost forgot about those - you even used 'vintage' supplies! This is gorgeous - love that gold edge and the turquoise peeking through the olive on the leaves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!