Thursday, August 27, 2015

Using My Hoard: Stipple Brushes

Stipple brushes are among the oldest tools I have in my craft hoard, but they rarely get used. Not sure why because they create such a unique and interesting background with absolutely no skillz needed. Just pounce that baby up and down until you get the color saturation you want, and BAM!


To make this card, I masked off the area to stipple, then started with light blue ink (Hero Arts Cornflower) and then added some Memento Paris Dusk to the bottom. When I removed the mask, I wasn't quite sure I liked the blue against the white...it seemed anemic, for some reason. So  using Papertrey's Faux Ribbon set, I added black lines that were heavier than the lines on the birds are on, and that created just the border needed between the blue and white. In the photo, it looks like a black mat to me, but it's definitely a one-layer card.

Let me make a small shout-out to Memento Luxe ink here. The tuxedo black is incredibly rich, dense, and BLACK. Those little birdies pop right off the blue background because that ink pad is SO INCREDIBLE.

If you don't have one, get one!

Yep. You've got a friend in me.

Or enabler.

Whatever.

Supplies
stamps: Penny Black Happy Notes; Papertrey Faux Ribbon, Keep It Simple Thinking of You
paper: Papertrey white
ink: Memento Luxe tuxedo black; Hero Arts cornflower; Memento Paris dusk
accessories: post-its for mask, quilt ruler for placing post-its, stipple brush

3 comments:

  1. I so totally forgot about my stipple brushes! Good grief, they're probably dusty! You have no idea how often you start my day with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up on stipple brushes, Susan! I need to dust mine off, too, and try this! I absolutely adore your one-layer card! And love my black Tuxedo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely. The black borders make a big impact.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!