Saturday, May 9, 2015

Branching Out, and Inspiration from Lynn Mangan

So I stopped by Marco's Paper the other day to buy envelopes. Marco's has lots of artsy stamps, including what appears to be the entire line of Tim Holtz stamps from Stampers Anonymous. These background stamps caught my eye.


Yep. I bought Tim Holtz stamps! Me! LateBlossom!

Actually, though, these two backgrounds are not too much a stretch for my kind of CAS, un-distressed cards, so really, I'm not branching out very far, am I?

Just wait 'til you see what I ordered today! *wink*

Anyway, the reverse image stamp in the pair had a lot of flat rubber to ink, so before using it, I rubbed it firmly with a white eraser and cleaned it thoroughly. This conditioning helps the ink spread nicely on the rubber without beading and blotching.


See?



Big background stamps are perfect for creating smaller focal-point panels on white cards, so I perused an old issue of Stamp It Card Challenges from 2013 and found this lovely card by Lynn M. Mangan for my inspiration.


My version of the layout sticks mostly with Lynn's elements...get-well theme, bird punch/die cut, twine/floss, but notice how different the two cards feel.


The point I wanted to make is just how little needs to change on a design to completely change the feel of the card. Lynn's reds, ivory, and brown colors; canvas texture; and natural speckled card stock give her card a warm, natural, comforting feel. She adds interest with fuzzy twine tied in a double bow, as well as perfectly-placed colored pearls. Perfect!

My card, with just a few key changes, feels completely different. LOTS of crisp white and a springtime monochromatic palette give my card a cooler, fresher, lighter feeling. I add interest with a tilt of the purple bird wing (like he's taking off to better health!) and a gemstone eye.

Next time you are looking for inspiration in a magazine or a blog or Pinterest, don't think, "This style doesn't look like me." Instead, ask yourself, "How can I make this mine?" Then, just do it. Sometimes, it works, and sometimes, it doesn't. But at least you tried to branch out...and that's a very good thing.

After all, it's only paper.

And if you're looking for inspiration, check out Lynn's blog. You'll find lots there!

Supplies
stamps: Tim Holtz, Gina K
paper: Papertrey white, unknown purple
ink: Memento
accessories: craft thread, dimensionals, rhinestone, SU bird punch

7 comments:

  1. You are so right in how to cards with so many of the same elements give off completely different vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the tip on cleaning new stamps with a white eraser before you use them so you don't get a blotchy stamp! I have had this problem with some new stamps and have wondered how to fix it. No I know! Thanks again, Sunshine, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the CASE Susan. I love how you were inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! I have all my magazines from the 15+ years I've been a stamper & find inspiration every time I look at them. In the beginning I'd skip ones with colors or style I didn't really like, but now I see ideas to use in all of them. I love your case of Lynn's card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well i think i need to go shopping as well :-) I love the purple color you used, and the card looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well i think i need to go shopping as well :-) I love the purple color you used, and the card looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you've used the background stamp to create a smaller panel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!