Tuesday, August 5, 2014

OLS#8 Strikes Again

I fell in love with this inspiration photo because it combines really soft blues with a strong olive green...what a great contrast!




To make my card, I masked the bottom of a full-size card and stamped the flower stamp (all the flowers are on one stamp) after inking with Baby Blue VersaColor ink and rocking and rolling with Atlantic, also by VersaColor.





It's sort of weird to stamp the flowers first, but I wanted to nest the flowers across the card in an interesting way, so I figured positioning them first, rather than the stems, would be best. Sadly, my gridded block got turned upside down when I stamped the last of three impressions of the flowers. ARRRGGHHH!

So I stamped the stems on the two upright flower sets, removed the post-its, and trimmed the mistake off the card. That change unbalanced the design, so I trimmed a bit off the bottom as well. I have no idea what the final dimensions of the card are, but it balanced in the end.

The sentiment is stamped in the dark brown of the inspiration photo, but I was left with the masking line to cover up. Silver seemed the best choice...brown would have made the card too heavy, I think, and the silver draws more attention to the soft gray-blue of the flowers and brightens the whole thing. Plus, none of the light blue pens I have would cover the mask line opaquely and would have looked a mess.

I hope the challenge hostess doesn't get mad at the silver.

Oh, yeah, I'm the hostess.

Well, no point getting mad at myself over a lovely card!

Always remember that little tweaks to a challenge for good artistic reasons are fine...but big changes mean it's best not to link up to the challenge. Sometimes the creative process takes you farther afield than expected, which can be a very good thing!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey (flowers), Clearly Besotted (sentiment)
ink: VersaColor, VersaMagic
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: silver metallic pen by PrismaColor

2 comments:

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!