Sunday, June 23, 2013

*sigh*

I must have mislabeled the paper, or perhaps the Gina K ivory isn't the same as the white, but when I tried to make some ivory-based one-layer cards with what I had labeled as Gina K, the Copic coloring bled through.

*sigh*

Gina K's white Deluxe card stock is impenetrable. You can color as much on it as you want, and it won't bleed through. It's AMAZING stuff, and I can't recommend it enough. But does anyone know if the ivory is supposed to be the same coated card as the white? Inquiring minds and all that.

Anyway, I ended up cutting out the frames of the stamped images and popping them onto new card bases. Easy fix, and looks sort of cool, so no worries. But, man, I hate bleed-through.





I colored these with assorted Bic, Sharpie, and Copic markers. The images are from an old, old, old Hero Arts set that I can't imagine ever parting with. It's just wonderful!

Some Random Stuff

1. Just picked up an issue of Pages magazine, a specialty pub from Cloth, Paper, Scissors. So many ideas floating around in my head for artist books. So many. I finally feel like the time is ripe for me to attempt clean-and-simple artist books. Besides, my poor Bind-It-All has been feeling neglected lately.

2. Mary asked me about why two instead of three elements work on this card. Yes, I harp on visual triangles and rules of thirds and the Importance of Three and Other Odd Numbers, but two can work really well under certain circumstances, too. I'm planning a discussion of that question. Not sure when it will get posted, but know that I am working on it!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts discontinued
ink: Memento
paper: Gina K Ivory (I think)
accessories: assorted alcohol markers, dimensionals







11 comments:

  1. your coloring is WONDERFUL, susan!
    and i love each little panel popped up!
    perfection..........again!
    thanks for sharing and inspiring me.
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to help you, but I can't. I don't have Copics, but I have heard that the Gina K white deluxe paper is often the cardstock of choice for Copic coloring, so you're on the right track there. These turned out great, though. I like the added dimension when things are popped up a bit (usually the littlest bit impresses me more than a thick dimensional). You're good at making something wonderful out of what you see as an unfortunate failing. I was happy to see you also used Bic and Sharpie markers. Those are more in my budget...and I certainly don't need to start another pen collection! Just the thought gives me the vapors. PS: I look forward to some of your artist books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really miss you! I LOVE these so much - makes me want to pull out my copics. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are two options for Ivory from GKD...if you chose http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/product.sc?productId=1508&categoryId=206 this is only 80 lb weight cardstock for layering

    This is the cardstock you want for using Copics http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/product.sc?productId=1479&categoryId=204 this is 120 lb weight.

    (I don't use Copics personally but Kub did so both are in the stamp room.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous clean and simple cards Susan. I too hate bleed through but fix it with copy paper inserts, looks like a quality card when it's lined! My card is quality but getting 'non bleed through' card is just too expensive.
    Good luck with your eBooks I'll bet they are going to be wonderful, Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, something wonderful comes out of what we think is a pain in the neck ... and this is one of these occasions. I really like the dimension you've added by popping up the frames (and therefore avoiding the dreaded bleed through). Thanks for the top tip about Gina K card ... hadn't heard of it so will search it out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am loving the idea of a CAS artist book! I can't wait to see what you do. Meanwhile, the cards today are fabulous and I can see why you are keeping this set of HA! Wonderful images~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Susan- the colouring is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your cards with the images cut out and popped up - a great fix for the bleed-through. I read somewhere on Gina K's website that it is only the white that won't bleed through with Copics or other alcohol markers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading the same thing...only the WHITE heavy base weight will not bleed.

      In any case, I think these cards are another "happy accident"!

      Delete
  10. More lovely cards. Bleed through....in my small and rather inexperienced world, I just expect bleed through. That way, I always know that my cards will be more than one layer and fewer go into the recycle bin. Sad, isn't it? These add a dash of dimension with their smidge of pop-up. Still beautifully CAS. Bev

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!