Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tutorial For Extending Punch Width

Wow. That has to be the single most boring tutorial title ever. It's illuminating without being at all interesting.

How about Another Super-Cool Punch Toot?

Not illuminating, but at least intriguing. And if you're in the right mood, perhaps a little crude.

By the way, I don't like the crafting world's shortening of tutorial into tut. A tutorial isn't an Egyptian pharaoh. Spell it out, please, because I'm right. You know I am.

But perhaps I should stop dictating usage standards and get to the real reason you are here....

Some punches, like SU's word window punch and Fiskar's folder tab punch, can be used to create elongated punched shapes. It's really quite easy, one of those tricks that makes you slap your forehead and say, "Duh!" when you first hear of it. If I hadn't seen this done by someone else (wish I could remember who!) years ago with the word window punch, I would never in a million years have thought to do it with the folder tab punch. I'm not that creative, but I am willing to share someone else's cool idea with you.

1. Punch the shape you want to extend out of a piece of scrap. Measure its height. Don't try to measure the actual punch because you might make a mistake and waste time and paper and make yourself lose control and scream expletives at the too-wide strip that won't fit into the punch. Not that I've ever done that. I'm very level headed in my craft room. As you can see, this shape is 5/8" tall.


2. Cut a strip of card stock the exact height of the punched shape and much longer than you will need for your elongated punched shape. It's easier to manage if the strip is at least two inches longer on the right side. You'll see why in the next photos.

3. Hold the punch so the metal part is up. Slip the left side of the strip into the punch until it is lined up where you want it to punch. See, that extra length on the right is useful to hold onto, isn't it? Well, trust me, it is. Then, punch.



4. Slip the right side of the strip into the right side of the punch and use that extra length to position it just where you want it. Then punch the heck out of it.


5. And this is what you get. Aren't you brilliant!?!?! Yes, yes you are!! This will work with any punch that you can stick a strip of card stock into, such as a label punch.






Of course, then you should do something with the punched shape, and this is what I chose to do. My folder-y Christmas card (suitable for a tax accountant or lawyer, don't you think?) uses a card base sent to me, with an assortment of other A Muse card stock, by the inestimable Joan B of Paperlicious fame. Thank you so much, Joan, for letting me try out a few pieces of A Muse card stock. It's as yummy as you say it is!



Hmmm. Joan's a lawyer in real life, so perhaps she'll get this card for Christmas....;)


Supplies
stamps: Winterberry (PTI)
ink: SU real red
paper: PTI vintage cream, A Muse wheat, SU garden green and real red
accessories: Fiskar's folder tab punch, SU flower punch, ScorPal, ribbon, anywhere hole punch (to make an unmovable knot), gold half beads

20 comments:

  1. Adorable card and tutorial. And thank you so much for using real words. And for the thanks. Not necessary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind. Blown. What an amazing idea and great tutorial Susan. And now I must have that punch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This trick is so simple, it's brilliant! Now, I just have to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this technique tutorial! A picture is worth a thousand words! (For those 'tut' people, "pic = 1K words".) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must go try this now, such a neat tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *snicker @ diana*

    Thanks for this. I never, ever would have thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!!! I have this punch and I am so excited to try this! Thanks for sharing your toot!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had been thinking that I must be the only person in the world who hated seeing people use "tut" for tutorial! Of course, I hate most things about how this computer age with it's e-mail and texting, etc. has caused people to shorten so many words as well as use so many acronyms. Another one besides "tut" that really gets to me is the use of "deets" instead of just typing the word "details". Now really... is it worth sounding so stupid to save the amount of time it takes to type two more letters? And I'm so sick of people acting like we all should know acronyms they must make up themselves. I have Googled acronyms from crafters' blogs that in the context of their posts are speaking of something to do with crafting, only to find a long list of possibilities of what their "made up" acronym stands for... none of which are crafting terms!

    I'm not even an English major nor did I have great English teachers in high school and college unfortunately, but it truly makes me very sad to see how so many out there are destroying the English language on a daily basis. The poor spelling and grammar I see so often around the Internet makes me wonder how people can get through school and learn so little. And it is even more sad that they don't care or think it is important at all. But, I'll stop venting for now about this one small area in the degradation of our society.

    Your card is wonderful and thanks for reminding me of this punching technique. I've only been papercrafting for a couple of years and I know I've already forgotten more techniques than I could imagine. This one is so easy and useful. I hope I remember to use it more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tip and tutorial!! Thank you for making my word window punch more
    useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love this idea! THANK you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right - it really is a "forehead slapping" idea! Seems so obvious now I've seen you do it.

    Thank you! It makes those punches so much more versatile.

    I have a few lawyer friends so will be casing your card for them.

    And I agree with you about "tut". I can't stand it either (I am also an English major, and a librarian to boot). But I am guilty of some similar abbreviations - for instance, I've taken to using "Nesties" for Nestabilities after seeing others do it on SCS. But maybe that doesn't count as Nestabilities isn't a real word in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great tutorial, i never would have thought of this. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's brilliant. I'm sure if there is anyway to make a mess of this I will figure it out. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What? Why have I never heard of this before?? You are awesome! Thanks for the tut! Oops... Tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing and for taking the time to give a step by step tutorial that is easy to understand.:)
    Linda J

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll just echo everyone... brilliant. Thanks, Susan for the TUTORIAL. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the line 'illuminating without being interesting'. I've done a few presentations lately that fall into that particular genre.
    Thank you very much for the tutorial and I'll be giving you credit for the line.
    Regena

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for this brilliant idea! Now I don't have to buy any of the die cuts that make tags.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember doing this at a SU card workshop years ago, so maybe that's where it originated (or not). I don't have this punch, but have used it often with the word window punch. This would make a great gift card holder. It's also perfect for a little extra sentiment card. So creative. I, too, cringe when I see "tut" or "tute" on blogs. I often e-mail links to myself I want to access soon (it's easier for me and Pinterest); if it's a tutorial I put that at the end of the subject line so I can find it quickly. Even then, I can't bring myself to write anything but TUTORIAL. I've unsubscribed from blogs where bad grammar is the norm. Yours is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!