Friday, April 20, 2012

Get Inspired by Home Decor

I saw this photo on Pinterest and knew I HAD to make a card inspired by it:


Source


So I simplified the design to the key elements I loved...the green niche and the sentiment. And here's what happened.:



How-To Tips: First, I cut a window into the layering panel using a craft knife and quilting ruler. To position the window, I cut a post-it note to fit the stamp and positioned the post-it with even borders on the top and left edges of the layering panel. Then, using the quilting ruler, I cut two edges at a time around the post-it.

Then, using light pencil marks, I marked the corners of the window on the card base and masked off a slightly larger area with more post-its to sponge with SU's Green Galore ink. I could have used a green galore base instead of sponging but decided I wanted white-on-white layering because that's just more "me."

And that's a big part of getting inspired by stuff: making it your own. If you get a chance this weekend, why not peruse Pinterest and see if you can get inspired by a beautiful home decor picture and make a card with your own style. It's fun!

Supplies
stamps: SU Pocket Silhouettes, Papertrey Signature Greetings
ink: SU green galore, Memento cocoa
paper: PTI white
accessories: craft knife, quilting ruler, dimensionals, post-its, sponge

23 comments:

  1. Call me wind because I am blown away by your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the best interpretation of this divine photo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW do I ever like this!!! Everything about it is perfect. I love that you sponged the green on instead of using that color CS -- I'm sure it's brighter, lighter, and prettier. Thanks for the how-to's, too; they save us a lot of guessing. Gorgeous card, and beautiful inspiration, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card, Susan. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Vivid green and cut out window!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sponging is way better than using the green cardstock - you always get slight variations that add interest and texture. Love your take on the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this definitely sparked an idea for me! It's beautiful, love the green background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! I love inspiration challenges because I like to do this too. Your card is simply amazing! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Susan, the green is so vivid and looks great framed in the aperture:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always so impressed by how you find inspiration and what you do with it. This is a breathtaking card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. " Call me wind because I am blown away by your post!"

    I'm stealing this line cuz I think it's hilarious (and totally how I feel, too!) WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you've interpreted this so well - it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card!! It definitely gives me inspiration for future cards.

    And I just have to share a wonderful find today. Last month you used one of the Hero Arts Horizontal Graphics stamps on one of your cards. I was fortunate enough today to get that set of stamps (and they look like brand new) at an LSS garage sale for $2.00!!!!!! I am SO excited!! LOL!! Thank you for showing me how useful stamps like that can be! It was a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm blown away, too! What an inspiration this card is--can't wait to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice card based on your inspiration photo. Like your design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous - love that green. Certainly it's nicer inked than just as green paper, gives it depth. M x

    ReplyDelete
  17. this card is beautiful. totally clever design. completely you. lovely to look at. amazing!!
    thanks for the inspiration.
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Stranger! Isn't Pinterest just the best! My card to day was also inspired by a fun photo! Love your perfect card off the inspired piece!

    How's that stamp space coming?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous!! Everything you make is wonderful and this is one is no exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you amaze me. Seriously. Love the inspiration & your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your inspiration card. I didn't quite follow those directions, but it would be more "me" to just use the piece of green underneath. I have to say I have conflict over the inspiration photo. I like it, but something about it jars me. I've been looking at it for awhile trying to figure it out. It definitely is an interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan, love it and how you take an inspiration piece or photo and make a totally gorgeous card.

    And I so want Pocket Silhouettes; it's been on my wish list since the first time I saw you use it. But I have a set of somewhat similar stamps, and just can't justify it right now. Too bad it's retiring!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful card!! will go by your gidelines and will make such a card!! thanks for the helpful post!!BY - RENTAL PROPERTIES KINGSTON UPON THAMES

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!