Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Get Inspired by Packaging: Part 3

Welcome to Part 3 of our first "Get Inspired by..." lessons. I hope these lessons help those who are intimidated by inspiration challenges learn to love them!

"Get Inspired by Packaging" focuses on strategies for using Vanessa Spencer's fabulous "brown paper packages" cover of Take Ten to make cards:




Our first strategy was to keep close to the original piece, using the same basic layout, color scheme, materials, etc. The second strategy was to change significantly just one component (in this case, color) of the original. Today, we'll change up yet more aspects of the inspiration piece, and we'll have a card that is definitely different yet still respectfully reminiscent of the source of inspiration!

Working off my white version of the card, I decided to see what would happen if I rotated the layout and eliminated the label in favor of a different sort of image. Several design tweaks were needed as a result.

The central bow looked odd on the vertical, so I shifted the bow to roughly a third of the way from the top of the card, and then placed the long horizontal sentiment a third of the way above the bottom of the card. The vertical baker's twine balances the horizontal sentiment, and the pink heart gives a little weight to the right side of the design to balance the bow.





What I Kept from Vanessa's Packaging:
--the basic layout, just rotated
--the baker's twine, which is just fabulous!
--the simple, clean design

What I Changed:
--colors (though I kept it simple like Vanessa's)
--the focal point image (no label, added sentiment and heart)
--details of the layout (balanced bow and focal point to accommodate the rotation)

What do you think?

Tomorrow, we'll take a look at a different package from Vanessa's cover and tweak it similarly for a different look!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink (heart), October Afternoon (sentiment)
paper: PTI white
ink: Real Red (SU), Pink (Memento)
accessories: baker's twine (PTI), dimensionals, 1/8" hole punch, Scor-Pal and bone folder



12 comments:

  1. I am LOVING all of these, Susan! The fabulous simplicity of them is just amazingly perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card, and your tutorial. I am learning so much already. And, it's FREE!! So glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the packaging series. I keep thinking that with a little tweaking these would be nice as gift card holders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the packaging series. I keep thinking that with a little tweaking these would be nice as gift card holders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say a big thankyou for this mini course. I can't paint or draw so wouldn't be accepted on an art course, but would like to do something in graphic design, but what you're showing here is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you explain your inspiration process and options. Thanks for the course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, these cards are just so clever. I love the idea of a package on a card, and the twine really makes them. I also love how you take an idea, make a few changes, and come up with something different. It's a great lesson for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful! I love when you do the variation-on-a-theme type of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first thing I think is that you are much more creative than I could ever be. I love all your interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the sharing. I really learnt a lot from your blog on card design and stamping. glad that I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!