Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Spotlight on Christmas

This beautiful image by Penny Black demanded a simple treatment, and the spotlight technique is pretty simple. I wanted to put a third spot of red on the card (visual triangles make me happy) but I couldn't figure out what to add, much less where to put it. After hemming and hawwing for about fifteen minutes, I simply left it. Just call me a design rebel. Or indecisive.



The second card looks simple, but there are a few tricks to it. To make the ornaments, I stamped just the ornament borders in red on white cardstock, then punched them out with a circle punch. Then I placed the bubble stickers over them, and glued them to the punched squares with the ribbon stamp already on them. I wanted a touch of asymmetry on this card to liven up the design so it didn't look too predictable and boring. I lined up the sentiment so "celebrate the" spans the gap between the second and third squares and the word "season" starts directly under the left edge of the third square. It's a little placement trick that kicks the simple design up a notch, don't you think?



First Card
stamp: Penny Black, PTI Take a Bough (sentiment)
cardstock: PTI white
ink: Palette noir, SU real red
accessories: circle punch, dimensional

Second Card
stamps: PTI Take a Bough
cardstock: PTI white
ink: SU real red, Palette noir
accessories: square and circle punches, dimensionals, bubble stickers

12 comments:

  1. These are both wonderful! LOVE the spotlight tech. it gives so much interest to the card and depth with the circle popped up! I am also a huge fan of those baubles!! Love the shine they give off and yes your sentiment lining up is perfect! Great job on both of these Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love where you put the sentiment on the second one. I enjoy your style so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab CAS cards Susan, I think you made a perfect decision on the first one, it looks just great with the two red spots, no third one required! Love the sentiment placement on the baubles one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are perfect Christmas cards, Susan!! Clean, beautiful, and elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rebel! it turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Design rebel has a much better ring to it. ;) These are both gorgeous...I need to try the spotlighting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both! I don't think you needed the third bit of red because the first card looks great (and I think the red behind it gives you the 3rd bit of red :-)

    What a great cas idea for the christmas ornaments. I've been totally "feeling" christmas cards these days! I think I might just have to make a bunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, both cards make me wish I was on your Christmas card list. I really like your CAS style and I'm envious of your perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a good eye which means you cards are perfectly balanced in colour and layout. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You never fail to amaze me with your brilliance .... how do you keep coming up with such fantastic designs. The baubles are just so cute and the sentiment placement is perfect.... defintely one to CASE.
    Thanks for continuing to constantly inspire us mere mortals ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The second card is my favorite. So crisp and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!